02 October, 2010

In Which I Receive An Award and Deliver a Satisfied Rant on The Atlantis Complex

First, the award! Len at Conversations with Self awarded me the One Lovely Blog Award--thank you so much, Len!



The rules for this award are to thank the person who gave you this award, *thanks and hugs for Len* and pass it on to 15 other Lovely Bloggers.

15! There are too many lovely people out there for that to be any kind of decision! But okay. I'll bite the bullet and here are the 15 people I award in a random order:


Thank you once more, Len!

*****


***Minor spoilers, but not much plot. Nothing big, but if you want to keep the book totally new and fresh for yourself, then don't read this. But it's not like I laid out the whole thing.***

I FINALLY managed to secure a copy of Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer from my library. (In case you've never heard of this book, it's the newest book in the Artemis Fowl series.) I didn't say "review" because I have trouble reviewing books that aren't the first in a series, or ones I haven't reviewed the other books in--it just seems awkward to me. So I'm going to rant on it a little instead.

I've been wanting to take this book out ever since it came out, and I finished The Atlantis Complex the evening I took it out. Artemis Fowl is one of my favorite series, (if not THE favorite) and it's even better than The Looking Glass Wars, Maximum Ride, and The Five Ancestors.

I didn't know what the make of The Atlantis Complex at first, because it's not the typical good-guy-beats-bad-guy plot that the other books are based on. Opal Koboi, much to my surprise, doesn't make a big entrance, and instead it's Turnball Root from The Artemis Fowl Files. (Thank goodness I managed to take that book out of a different library.)

Because I'm not trying to be totally exact or professional here as I am in reviews, I'm going to say this: Holly, dear elf, why. On Earth (and in Haven). Did you date. CAPTAIN TROUBLE KELP? Okay, it was only one date here, but STILL. Trouble KELP. That dude is . . . . . well, okay, I suppose Holly and Trouble might go well together. They're both LEPRecon and officers and all that.

This book was funny, as usual. Eoin Colfer has a distinctive humor/sarcasm that I love, and the characters are genuine in this series. Artemis Fowl wasn't himself for all of it of course, but, as always, he manages to pull through if without as much sanity as other times.

I'm going to say READ IT READ IT READ IT because this book is really, really good. I still think that The Arctic Incident and The Opal Deception are the best books out of this series, but The Atlantis Complex is well done.

*end rant*

*****

I have completed Day 2 of NaBloWriMo!


That is all for today.

Ciao. 再见. Adios.

(Don't ask me why, but "toodles" is beginning to get on my nerves.)

-----The Golden Eagle
Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

Misha said...

Thanks so much for the award! I'm really honored.

:-)

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you for the blog award Golden, I'm honored. I added those books to my reading list. Now I need to go to the library.
Yours,
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the award and enjoyed your rant. I've not read the books, but heard good things about the series.

Quinn said...

Congrats on the award!

Glad to see your rant since we were just talking about the book.

I was also shocked that Opal Koboi didn't play a bigger part, but she can't be the villain of every book, can she? She's been the main villain in like 3 out of 7 books, right? But, you know she'll be back ... there are 2 of her -- Eoin Colfer did that for a reason.

Jules said...

Congratulations on the award! Sorry it took me awhile to get here Blogger was not allowing me to load my followers.

Made it and thank you for following my blog. :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Clarissa Draper said...

Thank you so much! I'll make mention of you and your lovely blog on my post today.

CD

The Golden Eagle said...

Misha: You're very welcome!

N. R. Williams: I hope you like the series. :)

Alec: You should read them! It's not science fiction exactly, more like fantasy, but it is written well.

Quinn: Thanks!

I was surprised by that, too. And I can't wait to see how Colfer manages to get her back into the past.

Jules: You're welcome, and thanks so much for following mine!

Clarissa: Your blog is lovely; I had to award you for it! :)

Cruella Collett said...

Getting to this a little late, but thank you so much for the award! I am honoured :)

brave chickens said...

Aww, thanks so much! :D
You've put a smile on my face :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Cruella: You're welcome!

Brave Chickens: :D Enjoy!

Hannah Kincade said...

Congrats on your award!

I only read the first book in the series and I enjoyed it but I keep forgetting to pick it up again. I will...soon. sigh.

The Golden Eagle said...

Thanks!

I hope you get around to reading the rest of them soon--Artemis Fowl is definitely worth it. :D