26 October, 2011

The Rule of Three Blogfest: Final Renaissance Story

Read the FIRST, SECOND, and THIRD entries.



A huge imbrangilae landed in the square, and several more landed in the streets, filling Renaissance with creatures practically everyone despised. More hovered above, their freezing breath chilling the air.
   “They’ll kill us,” Alejandra whispered.
   “Don’t be ridiculous,” I replied. “Killing is the least the imbrangilae could do.”
   She shook my arm.
   “Shut up!”
   “Well, you—“
   “Estant,” my father called.
   The largest imbrangilae roared.
   “I apologize for our past disregard of the treaty.”
   “You . . .” Estant rasped, in a horrible, ripping voice that should never have come from something living, “. . . have broken that treaty more times . . . than we imbrangilae remember. Your history lies in the dead . . . forms of imbrangilae . . . who we trusted to you.”
   “I know, Estant,” my father murmured.
   “Humans must pay the price . . . of their actions.”
   The crowd was quick on the uptake.
   “Kill them all!” someone shouted.
   “Burn them!” screamed another. “We won’t die!”
   “SILENCE,” boomed Estant. “Did I ever mention . . . dying?”
   “It was implied,” my father said mildly.
   “I will not have your . . . insinuations. What I propose . . . is a trade. We imbrangilae . . . want five of your . . . offspring.”
   An outraged woman cried, “They want our children?”
   “We want to train you . . . to understand us. I know we are ugly by . . . your standards. But with knowledge, perhaps . . . we can come . . . to an alliance, however tenuous.”
   “Estant,” my father said, “do you realize what you’re asking? To send children to your lairs, to live with your kind?”
   “Yes. Humans killed seventeen imbrangilae . . . in the past century. Is that not . . . fair? We would never . . . kill one of you.”
   Silence.
   “I volunteer,” I said. “I will travel to your home.”
   “You . . . volunteer?” Estant rasped.
   “I do, too,” Alejandra declared.
   “Two,” the imbrangilae said. “There must be . . . three more.”
   “We’ll go.”
   I turned to see twins emerge from the crowd, a sister and brother, identical except for a long scar down the girl’s face.
   I knew them. Outcasts, forced to scrounge in alleys for food. I’d tried to speak to them, but they’d spurned me, expecting to get bullied or tricked.
   “That will do,” Estant said. “Forget the fifth.”
   “They’ll die!” a man shouted.
   “We won’t,” I said. “We’ll be just fine with the imbrangilae.”
   “How do you know?”
   “Because I trust Nabil.”
   I don’t think he understood our speech, but Nabil shrieked.
   I smiled.
   “Then we have an agreement,” Estant roared, rearing. “You humans will . . . forget this day, as you forget . . . everything else. But there will . . . be a time when you must remember . . . and do not overlook the detail the imbrangilae could kill you all.”
   He took off.
   “Good luck, Corey!” my father shouted, as Nabil walked up.
   “Goodbye, Father.”
   I jumped onto Nabil’s back as Alejandra awkwardly hoisted herself onto another imbrangilae.
   The twins, I had to notice, were more graceful.
   Nabil lifted up and soared into the clouds, but not before I peered back down at Renaissance.
   Such a small place.
   I couldn’t wait to see the rest of the world through the imbrangilae’s eyes.


(580 words. For some reason, Word counts all the periods in the ellipses.)

Final prompts:

  1. The misfortune is resolved/accepted. (check)
  2. Relationships mend/are torn asunder.
  3. The final event becomes another secret for generations to come. (check)
  4. There is a new arrival in town.



**********


About the REN3 Blogfest:

Hosts:
Stuart Nager at Tale SpinningDamyanti Biswas at Daily (W)riteLisa Vooght at Flash FictionJC Martin at Fighter Writer.


A. What is the Rule of Three?
The “rule of three” is a principle in writing that suggests that things that come in threes are inherently funnier, more satisfying, or more effective than other numbers of things. The reader/audience of this form of text is also more likely to consume information if it is written in groups of threes. A series of three is often used to create a progression in which the tension is created, then built up, built up even more, and finally released. –Wikipedia 
B. How does the Rule of Three work in this blogfest?
The Rule of Three is a month-long fiction blogfest, where we’ve created a ‘world’, the town of Renaissance, and challenged you to create a story within it. The story will feature 3 characters of your creation, who will be showcased on your blog on 3 different Wednesdays or Thursdays, following the Rule of Three. The 4th Wednesday/Thursday posting you’ll have the culminating scene.


C. What is the Shared World of Rule of Three? Welcome to Renaissance.
Renaissance is an outpost town in the middle of nowhere, but many routes pass through or beside it. The desert is encroaching on one side (to the West), a once-lush forest lies to the East and South. A large river runs through the forest, but it is not close to the town. Mountains are to the North, far, far away, and when you look towards them you don’t know if they are an illusion or real. Closer by are the smaller hill chains that fed the mining, creating caverns and passages underground.
   The town has had a number of identities throughout its history: A trading post; a mining town; a ghost town until it was rediscovered; a thriving community; the scene of a number of great battles; the scene of one great tragedy (that led to its Ghost Town standing); a town of great joys and celebrations, and so much more. At this point in time, there is a general population of 333. A mixture of a community. It boasts families that have lived there for generations upon generations, but they are in the minority, and are not in positions of power. There are traders who have come back here, at the end of their many travails, to settle in. The new families and power-players have taken this as a last refuge for themselves, hoping to rebuild lives torn apart on the way here. Everyone has a secret. Welcome to Renaissance. Enjoy your stay.

**********

And so ends the Rule of Three Blogfest--which I'm going to miss, because I've had an awful lot of fun writing my posts this past October.


-----The Golden Eagle

22 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh I love this resolution!! Love it!! Silly humans but good for your mc and those lovely humans who volunteered! Yay!! Great stuff - thanks for sharing! Take care
x

Donna Hole said...

That was cool negotiations. I like the idea of them riding off to new destinies, to see the larger world.

Mine ending had the characters leaving Renaissance too.

........dhole

Richard said...

Good writing. Good luck.

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

Love your writing. You had me hooked!

JennaQuentin said...

Very clever!! Sooooo, you're gonna do a sequel story series?

Joshua said...

Great conclusion to this part, and the opportunity for so much more. Thank you.

Paul Tobin said...

I too enjoyed the conclusion. I really enjoy your work.

Co-Hosts said...

Woot!!!

Stuart
co-host REN3

The Golden Eagle said...

Old Kitty: I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

You're very welcome--thank YOU for reading!

Donna: Thanks. :)

I'll be right over to read your entry . . .

Richard: Thank you!

Catherine: Thank you so much! Glad to hear I managed to hook a reader. ;)

Jenna: Thanks!

LOL. I'm not sure . . . I like the imbrangilae, but I've got a lot of other projects at the moment.

Joshua: Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Paul: Thank you so much!

Stuart: I take it you liked it? :)

David Powers King said...

Don't you just love it when the evil creatures turn out to be the ones offering a truce? I know I do, and I didn't see that coming. That was, once again, an excellent story and one of my favorite conclusions so far! :)

Jules said...

OOH, I love bartering!! Nice touch and thanks for the birthday wishes. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Deniz Bevan said...

Aww, I want to go with them!

Sarah Pearson said...

I love this ending - for those kids it's the beginning of a whole new story :-)

alberta ross said...

wise kids - like it - they'll grow to rule the world - maybe! - do we trust these winged beings? - nice conclusion - more hopeful one than mine:)

A Kwee Life said...

Great resolution. It is sad, what all humanity forgets. This is a story I will remember. Thank you.

Misha said...

Once again I get the feeling that this isn't the end of the story. At least I hope there's more. :-)

Jodi Su said...

cool! love the volunteering to go...hopeful and ready for the book to follow :)

Colleen Chen said...

Excellent ending, positive & heartwarming. Thanks for a very entertaining story--I hope there's more to come!

Sylvia van Bruggen said...

Yay what a fantastic ending!

The Golden Eagle said...

David: Yup . . . that's why I turned it around that way. ;)

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Jules: Thanks!

You're very welcome. :)

Deniz: Me, too. LOL.

Sarah: Indeed . . .

Alberta: Maybe--though I get the feeling Corey might make a few too many jokes while he was at it. :P

Thank you!

And I really enjoyed your conclusion, even though it was sad.

A Kwee Life: You're very welcome. Thank you so much for reading, and I've accomplished my goal if this is a story you will remember. :)

Misha: Well, Renaissance will come around again, so there probably will be more with these characters.

Jodi: Thanks!

I'll have to think about writing that book some more . . .

Colleen: Thank you! :)

You're welcome!

Sylvia: Thank you. :D

J.C. Martin said...

And...The End! What a journey it has been! And now begins the hardest part: the judging!

The Golden Eagle said...

J.C.: Can't wait for the results . . .