11 October, 2011

Teaser Tuesday (56)

Teaser Tuesday has swung around again. This weekly meme is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Rules for participating:


  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is from The Best of James Herriot by, well, James Herriot. I love his stories.


His brother looked away and began to grind still faster, but Siegfried laid a friendly hand on his shoulder. "No, don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to do it again. In fact, you'll never have to do it again because, from now on, the job will be done by an expert." He paused and cleared his throat. "We're going to have a secretary."
   As we stared blankly he went on. "Yes, I picked her myself and I consider she's perfect."

(I forgot to check the page number.)

**********

Got a teaser, or thoughts on the book you're reading? Feel free to leave them in the comments!


-----The Golden Eagle

18 comments:

Sarah said...

The captain shrugged and lowered his voice just enough to ensure that everyone on deck would listen closely. "You may as well know: He's a Ranger of the Republic."

Dreadnought - Cherie Priest

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I posted this in a review today, because DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONES is incredible. Lots of great lines like this one:
His memories were knives, and he was not pleased to have them turned against him.

Susan Kane said...

I have always loved James Herriot. You picked a lovely read. Right now I am catching up on blogging, and can't read until I am done.

J. A. Bennett said...

Sounds interesting, I think I may have committed some sort of reader sin becasue I've never heard of James Herriot before :)

Belle said...

I've read all his books and loved them. He is just charming. Right now I am reading, The Making of a Nurse, by Tilda Shalof.

"But I didn't want to be a blossom, or a ray of sunshine, nor a star from the heavens above. I wanted to be a normal girl with a normal mother."

Beth said...

I love James Herriot!! I'll have to look for this book. Here is my teaser for this week.

Old Kitty said...

Awwww James Herriot!! What a great choice!! Yay!! take care
x

M Pax said...

What were they grinding? Looks like a great collection to get lost in.

Heather said...

I don't read a lot of literary novels so that one probably won't make my list. Thanks for the teaser though! I would leave you one of my own but my book has gone missing...

Elizabeth said...

Where is that "cliff" please.

AWESOME site.


Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

NEW FOLLOWER.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Cherie Reich said...

Wonderful teaser! I just finished reading J.C. Martin's The Doll...a great horror read, although my teaser was something different today.

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh, James Herriott! I love James Herriott! Was just rereading the first book a couple of months ago.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Cool teaser! I haven't read James Herriot... must remedy that.

Carol Kilgore said...

Cool. Great writer!

Reece said...

Love James Harriot! Without a doubt, some of the funniest stuff I've ever read.

The Golden Eagle said...

Sarah: Interesting--I want to know what a Ranger of the Republic is. :)

Tricia: That is a great line! I want to read that book; I've heard good things about it.

Susan: Me, too. :)

Hope you get some reading time!

J. A.: You've never heard of James Herriot? *faints*

Just kidding. But he's a great writer. :)

Belle: I've never heard of that book before, but I love the teaser!

Beth: Same here!

Old Kitty: Thanks! :)

M: It is. I just need a weekend in which to get lost in it . . . :P

Heather: It's Nonfiction, actually. Stories about James Herriot's time as a vet in England. :)

You're welcome!

As in, missing because you can't find it, or missing because it's awesome and someone else has nabbed it? ;)

Elizabeth: Cliffs of Moher!

Thank you so much for coming by--and following! :)

Cherie: Glad you enjoyed it!

I have yet to get around to reading it; and sometime before October is over, as it sounds perfect for the season!

Deniz: I should do that sometime; I never did All Creatures Great and Small, out of the series he wrote.

Jennifer: Thanks!

You should. He's wonderful. :)

Carol: I agree!

Reece: LOL. Yes, he can be funny!

anthony stemke said...

The Cold Moon, Jeffery Deaver.

Sitting in her cubicle, Sarah Stanton heard another squawk over the building's public address system above her head.
It was a running joke in the office that the company put some kind of filtre on the speakers that made the tranmissions completely unintelligible.
page 441.