04 September, 2010

Manga Review: Maximum Ride Volume 3





Title/Series: Maximum Ride
Author: James Patterson
Artist: NaRae Lee
Cover Rating: 2.3 out of 5. Why is Fang's hair blond? He's not a blond. He's got black hair, and he didn't damage his head. But I suppose symbolically it fits.
Rating: 4 out of 5.

I won't give you the synopsis of the book, because it's basically a condensed version of the first half of School's Out--Forever, the third book in the Maximum Ride series.

I think they did a good job on this. I got Max's original attitude and personality despite the fact it's in illustrations and not words, and they followed the main plot points and sequence of events.

The other characters were good, too. Fang was, well, Fang, with the black clothes and hair, and the "strong and silent" attitude for the most part.

Nudge looked older than she really is. She's 9 (?) in the original book, but looks older in this volume. Still, I think they did fine with her.

Gazzy (AKA the Gasman) fit the image in my head. Cute. Young. He looked the right age, too.

Iggy. Good old Iggy. If you ask me, I think Iggy's one of the best characters in the whole series, despite Fang. But anyways, yes, he came out the way he did in the book. Mostly. They included that scene where he explodes at the Flock which is a fairly character-revealing moment.

Dear little Angel is portrayed in a similar way as she is in the book. A little innocently troublesome.

I think the only thing that got to me was the fact that all the characters looked pretty much the same. Like I'd get Anne confused with Max, and Iggy confused with Nick, and Angel confused with every other little girl that I came across. But that's the way it is with manga--there's a specific style and it applies to every character; they've all got the same faces, similar hair, similar clothes, and all of their eyes are big and flat. However, it's not that big of a deal--you just have to guess and if the guess is wrong, then it clears up on the next page or whatever.

Do I recommend this manga volume? I recommend this for Maximum Ride enthusiasts who are bored with the series or can't read the newest release, but I don't recommend this for people who are just starting the series for the first time. I think it's better to start with the original book series, since everything's packed together in the manga version and the books are more of an experience. (At least, I think so.)

-----The Golden Eagle

2 comments:

Icewolf said...

Correction: That is Iggy on the cover of the book. I recognized him cause he's my favorite character. :D And I didn't know they came out with the next manga!!! I thought the cover would have Angel on it.

The Golden Eagle said...

I guess that could be Iggy, but isn't he supposed to have brown hair? And I still don't get why they draped him in bandages.

Angel? Hmmm. I suppose that would've worked too, and it would have been a cute image.

But anyways, now I want to get my hands on the other books. :)