20 September, 2010

Top Ten TV Shows Blogfest

Hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh over at the blog of the same name.

I highly suggest you go check it out. And follow. And link up. And also check out some of the other entries.

I actually don't watch TV beyond PBS. So you're probably going to think I'm a walking talking ad for the channel by the end of this.

But anyway.

On with the list!

1. NOVA

This is probably THE BEST science show out there. Really. It covers every topic and a some of it is about the new fields that are being explored as we speak. SETI. Microraptor. Evolution. Pluto. Green technology. However, it also looks into things like Darwin's history, scientists who have contributed to their field, the understanding of cold, and a lot of other things. Check out the site for everything else.


2. Nature

Second best science show out there. This is mostly animals, instead of science in general the way NOVA is, and I like its music better than I do NOVA's. And no, it's not just lions hauling zebras to the ground and cheetahs carrying dead deer, by the way. It's much more interesting than that, since it covers plenty of stuff beyond hunting.


3. NOVA scienceNOW

It's related to NOVA. Neil deGrasse Tyson (funny guy--have you ever heard of him before?) is the host of the series, which is almost as good as NOVA. It's geared more toward the younger generation--it's more new technology, innovation, instead of exploring key scientific topics. They should have made another series for last summer but they didn't. *sigh* I hope they do for 2011. I miss it.

4. The PBS NewsHour

It's balanced. It doesn't involve Glenn Beck shouting at Washington and the reporters are calm and usually reasonable. Sometimes their science reports are a little, um, weak (Jim Lehrer once asked if you could see bacteria) and not quite as good as they could be, (they should get someone who knows what they're actually talking about) but overall it's MUCH better than the other news outlets. Believe me, it is.

5. History Detectives

History isn't my top favorite subject, but I do enjoy this show a lot. It's focused on American History, although the artifacts can trace back to other countries. Seeing the museums, sites, etc. that they go to can be interesting and the results can be surprising. One or two segments were exaggerated a little, but it was still good.

6. Craft in America

Art, basically. All sorts of art. The people, the things they make, the methods they use, the tools, etc. One of the better art programs PBS has. One local art production isn't very good, (at least I think it's uninteresting) but this series explores a lot more stuff nationwide. Glass, pottery, beading, it's varied.

7. The National Parks: America's Best Idea

How about Ken Burns' Best Idea? Excellent job on this one. The sights, the images, even the music. John Muir, Teddy Roosevelt, and all the other people who influenced the Parks are in there and there are quotes and excerpts of what these people said. There are Rangers who worked in the park, authors, writers, people like that. I actually wrote four essays on this series--you'd think I'd be bored with this by now but I still think it's really good.

8. Nightly Business Report

Not as thorough about news beyond the business world, (for example, you're not going to see soldiers in Iraq in this show) NBR focuses mostly on what's happening in the markets and the economy. There aren't many long interviews and some things are compressed down to make it fit into the half-hour time frame, but it is informative when it comes to the economy. I'm not really interested in which ETFs to buy at the moment, but it's still interesting.

9. The Human Spark

Alan Alda did a good job on this (short) series. It looks into what makes us human, as opposed to just large bipedal apes, how evolution changed that, how we are changing now, human thoughts and instincts. The experiments they try and the scientists Alan Alda speaks to all have their opinions that make you think.

10. Antiques Roadshow

It's fascinating to see how much someone's "junk" can be worth. Some of the stuff they appraise doesn't particularly appeal to me, like beer mugs, but a few items here and there are like "Whoa now!" Sometimes it can get a little monotonous (then I start reading and only pay attention to the end of the appraisals) but overall it's a good show. (I love that commercial they have on the blanket that was appraised--have you ever seen it?)

There's my list. I did warn you . . . LOL. Anyway, do you recognize any of these titles? Comments on them? Thoughts? If you have your own Blogfest post, tell me! I want to see what your favorites are. :)

-----The Golden Eagle

25 comments:

Cruella Collett said...

Being Norwegian, I had to google PBS today since people kept talking about it. Glad I got around to do that before running into this blog, since I otherwise would have been lost ;)

Those sound like great shows. History is my field, actually, but I far prefer watching educational TV from fields I do not know as well. So I'd probably like Nature, for instance.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the slant you took with your selections. And wow, NOVA has been on forever, hasn't it?
Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

Karen Peterson said...

I do like to take a gander at PBS now and then. NOVA is pretty great.

Budd said...

I just watched an episode of nova on the secrets of the samurai sword. Great stuff!

The Golden Eagle said...

Cruella Collett: It's very cool you're Norwegian. :)

Nature is a great show!

Alex J. Cavanaugh: Yup! I've only been watching it for over a year, but I know it's been around for a while.

Anytime! This was fun.

Karen Peterson: Definitely.

Budd: That was an interesting show! Isn't it cool how the metal cools and the techniques they use?

Cornet Crazie said...

Congrats TGE! You've just been featured on Treble Clef!!! Head over now to check it out!

Jen said...

I love that your list is so unique compared to others!!! Though I don't watch anything that you listed I can still appreciate it!

Elana Johnson said...

Man, I need to watch more TV. I've only seen ONE of these and it was #10. I do like Antiques Roadshow a lot. The "newer" version of this is Pawn Stars. It's always interesting to see how much something is worth.

Elana Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elana Johnson said...

Man, I need to watch more TV. I've only seen ONE of these and it was #10. I do like Antiques Roadshow a lot. The "newer" version of this is Pawn Stars. It's always interesting to see how much something is worth.

Brooke said...

I've never watched ANYTHING on that list, lol! I suppose now I have a reason to.

Summer Ross said...

The only thing I have seen on that list is the roadshow...:)

Clarissa Draper said...

Oh, I was going to leave an advert! Oh well... I guess I'll leave a comment instead. Unless you're interested in Tupperware. (I don't sell it but I might own some...) ;)

I notice you like smart TV. I applaud that. I watch TV to learn sometimes. Sometimes I just want to veg.

Thanks for your comment.

CD

iZombie said...

solid choices... truly solid choices... you need to watch the big bang theory...

:)
iZombie

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I had The Aniques Road Show, but being from the UK I didn't know the others, I did enjoy your presentation of the post.

Yvonne.

The Words Crafter said...

I love Antiques Roadshow! And Nature. I also love the NatGeo channel and the History channel.

Cool list!

arlee bird said...

This is an excellent list. Probably the most intelligent list I've seen so far.

Lee
Tossing It Out

The Golden Eagle said...

Cornet Crazie: I have? I'm heading right on over! :D

Jen: I'm glad you do!

Elana Johnson: I've never heard of Pawn Stars before! But it is fun seeing just how much someone's stuff can be worth.

Brooke: I hope you do get around to watching some of the shows. :)

Summer Ross: AR is a great program.

Clarissa Draper: LOL. Tupperware is cool. :)

Don't we all sit in front of the TV and relax once in a while?

iZombie: I don't think I have watched that one. I've seen Black Holes and one show on the universe though . . . the Black Holes one is awesome.

Welcome to my world of poetry: It's too bad PBS isn't international! I'd miss it if I moved from the US. :P

The Words Crafter: I don't watch NatGeo or the History Channel, (although sometimes PBS does have NatGeo specials) but Nature is certainly a very good show.

Arlee Bird: Well, I'm glad you think it's good. :)

aspiring_x said...

those shows sound great! i guess i feed my mind too much candy, and not enough veggies! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Aspiring_x: I wouldn't say that; there are some great shows beyond PBS.

Ellie said...

Gosh. The first list where I haven't watched ANY of them! Does that make us polar opposites? LOL.

The Golden Eagle said...

I don't know--maybe! But that would be an interesting occurrence if we were polar opposites. :D

Kelley said...

nice choices! they all sound great!

Lynda Young said...

Well, this is a different list. I love it.
Lyn

The Golden Eagle said...

Kelley: Thanks. :)

Lyn: Think you'd ever watch any of them?