19 September, 2010

Soap and Education Are Not as Sudden as a Massacre But are More Deadly in the Long Run*

I really don't like starting off posts that are more personal than book reviews and/or posts with a theme. Like, what do I start off the darned thing with--me, writing, stuff I'm doing 'round the blogosphere, or just some random fact? I usually go with the random fact option . . . but today I'm going to start off with the fact that my characters just turned a year old today!

You're probably thinking: HUH? but you see, I started writing my current story exactly a year ago. I think it was a year ago; for some reason this date reminds me of something. I know I started it in September sometime. Not all of my characters have reached a year yet; I only introduced some a few months ago when I was rewriting.

But Combat Chief Neodvisni (I didn't know his last name at the outset--I should have since that's what everyone calls him) and Esperanza, (no last name anyway), the two main characters in the story have been in my mind almost every day for the past year.

Question here: how often do YOU think about your characters? I do a lot. Like daily.

*****

Guess what? I signed up for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Top Ten TV Shows Blogfest set for September 20th. I don't watch any TV beyond PBS (I'm not kidding!) but I since I love a bunch that they show I decided to put my name up there. I only have tomorrow to write it though since I put it off--panic attack! I'm going to have to make up that list pretty fast. :P But I don't mind--go sign up yourself!

I'm also participating in Alex, Jennifer Daiker, and Elana Johnson's Great Blogging Experiment. I love that title. I'm really going to hit the blogging world on September 24th to see what everyone thinks is the best way to write compelling characters. Again--SIGN UP.

Watch out for my posts, too! :)

*****

The trees are starting to change here. They're turning orange, yellow, red, fading to brown . . . it's pretty, but it's also getting colder to point where I need a jacket. I don't like wearing jackets--anything bulky just gets on my nerves. The temperatures are dropping at night and in the day, 80s are unlikely and 60s are common, it's been in the 40s . . . but I love fall. It's my favorite season.

*****

I know I was going to say something else but I can't remember it now . . . hrrrmm. What was it? Eh. Never mind. I'll think of it tomorrow and probably forget it again . . . you know, it seems like whenever I start writing my posts the thoughts I had fly out the window. It's same with my story--the computer seems to dash everything I had in mind.

Ah well. I usually wing it successfully enough. Don't you think?

Here's a random fact I just noticed: I have a total of 458 tags.

458!? I don't use that many very often! I'm glad I don't have one of the lists of all the tags I have. It would take up the whole sidebar. I have such things as "Angels and Demons" "American Experience" "iPod" "Kenneth Feinberg" and all sorts of miscellany. Including "Zippidy-do-dah".

*****

Oh, hey, I just realized PBS is showing Victor Borge.

VICTOR BORGE. THAT GUY IS HILARIOUS. It's too bad he died. It's the Falling Leaves one--ever seen it? LOL.

*****




*Mark Twain quotation

-----The Golden Eagle

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Yep, I probably think about my characters daily, too.:) Congratulations about your story!!! Mine (Cymbeline) probably turned a year old in July/August. Awesome stuff.XD

Victor Borge! I love that dude!

Kenzy said...

My characters turned a year old back in august. :D Congrats!

Theresa Milstein said...

Happy one-year anniversary.

I think about my characters all the time.

Thanks for the links.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I'm currently living and breathing my characters and to be honest, am looking to creating new ones!!

Yes, the trees are turning here too and the weather is definitely getting colder. I had my thermals on yesterday, and the heating.

CJ xx

The Golden Eagle said...

Caroline: LOL. Characters certainly are awesome stuff. :)

Me too.

Kenzy: It seems my characters are rather young. :P

Theresa Milstein: Thanks!

I suppose it's what comes with being a writer.

Sure. :)

Thanks so much for following!

Crystal Jigsaw: I love creating new characters, thinking up new personalities and changing the story yet again.

You too? Stay someplace that's warm and cozy!

I'm honored you decided to follow my blog. :)